Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Vintage Pitch Fork Glass Holder

One problem with a small kitchen is the lack of storage.

I had to create storage without creating clutter. All of my finds and treasures have a functional use. I simply don't have the space to have extra vignettes and furniture.
I found a very old pitch fork at a flea market and knew I could find a use for it.

I came up with this.....

It's hanging over my frig. I mounted it with curtain rod hardware. I also added a screw to the top of each wooden bracket for stability.

On to the next project,

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Entryway Lockers

I've been hard at work on this project all week. Last week, I showed you this...
I removed the back, inner shelves and doors.

Then, I made all of the shelves. Hit it all with my palm sander. Pewwww, was that a job! I gave it two coats of paint. Gray then cream.

Roughed it up with 60 and 100 grit sandpaper. Lugged it into the house and added the back paneling. I took pegs off existing peg board hangers for the side of each locker. I spray painted four miscellaneous metal hooks black for the back of each locker. I've been debating on making doors or a curtain? After a week of peckin at this ol' Girl...Here she is..........

Best Part... the cost of this project was just under $40!!
I only had to buy the baskets.
All of the pine used in this project was prepared by Ronny (Our family friend with Cerebral Palsy). He carefully removes all the knots with his hand tools. Knowing how hard he worked with his limitations, makes the finished project even more special to my family.

On to the next project,

Monday, June 13, 2011

Entryway Lockers

I've been planning on making entryway lockers since December when I saw these

Pottery Barn Lockers, while searching online for ideas. The plan has been developing as I find things I would like to use. Today was a GOOD DAY!! First of all, it's my favorite day of the week..........GARBAGE DAY. I've been collecting "Ronny Boards" for some time now (Story Here) and have resided to the fact that it would take alot of lumber and time to construct the piece I would like for our entryway. I have been hoping to find a few bookcases or a large piece of furniture to convert. Today was my lucky day.
I found this monster three houses down.

I know...it's not pretty but I have plans for this!
This is how we had to get it home....
Old and dilapidated but very handy. We were quite the sight walking this thing home.
I worked on this the rest of the day and wanted to give you a sneak peak at my progress. The kids helped on and off. Tomorrow, I begin painting.
 There will be 4 lockers. One shelf on top for a basket and two on the bottom of each locker for shoes. I'm waiting to put the new back on. It's a sheet of paneling that will be horizontal to look more Pottery Barnish instead of 70's.

Check back to see more!


Sunday, June 12, 2011

New Front Patio

Last Fall, I envisioned a small sitting area for myself in my front flower bed. I really needed a place to sit while the kids are playing outside. I've resided to the one step on the porch for years. So, in the fall, I transplanted my perennials from in front of the window to the backyard. This is before I leveled the area and transplanted the holly bush.

This is it now...

I laid those bricks all by my little self.
I bought the furniture for a whoppin $38 at Second Mile West. I made the seat cushions out of a white linen table cloth I just picked up at a garage sale for...$1. Very easy to make. Just need one of these...

Old handsome dog to hold down the fabric and VOILA!

The pillows are made from a vintage flour sack I found curbside. (Yes, I bleached it!) The chippy rust covered side table is perfect for my feet as I watch the kids. I added annuals to add alittle color and of course, I made another toolbox for my new resting place.

On to the next project,

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Vintage French Chocolate Crate Table

I recently found a table  at Red Hen Home  It's exactly what I've been dreaming up for my bathroom table that I bought last year at a garage sale for $20. More than I would typically spend but I saw it had potential and it was solid oak. I borrowed a dinosaur an overhead projector from work  (Yes, it's officially signed out) made the transparency and got to work. Instead of hand painting the design, I decided to use a SHARPIE! It didn't bleed and was super easy. After I finished the lettering, I sanded the top, wiped it down and sealed it with paste wax. Here it is.......

I am liking this table and it's MINE MINE MINE! I will forever remember how many times my children tripped over the projector cord, moved the transparency and walked in front of the projector light!!

On to the next project,

Friday, June 3, 2011

Numbered Dresser

I found this dresser curbside several years ago. It was in bad shape and needed alittle TLC. I knew I wanted it as a TV stand because it is perfect for movies, video games, and board games. It's also very sturdy and the drawers slide well but not well enough for little hands to pull them out and climb. I sanded, painted and roughed it up with 60 grit. I recently found new metal house numbers at the thrift store. I chose 1,2, and 3 to make it easy to tell the kiddos where to find their stuff. Works for my busy household.

On to the next project,